Monday, September 5, 2011

OSHA and the ATC

Week one I would say was successful! We covered the sports medicine team and the responsibilities of the Certified Athletic Trainer, and we also covered standards regarding handling body fluids.

Please follow this link to a fact sheet on OSHA standards to review- 

http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_BloodborneFacts/bbfact01.pdf

The football game was an eventful one, I actually never got to watch a single play really- even with 2 ATC's on the sidelines (Mariann Naoom is my sub at times, and she was a former student in the sports med program! -which is weird, I can't be that old) - AND 2 EMT's on the sidelines (one also a former student) - we were kept very busy with LOTS of body fluids and some major injuries. Two guys vomited (I will be having a talk with the team about pre-game meals) and one fractured his collarbone, while another sustained a very serious neck injury. That being said, it is clear to me I will need lots of you on the sidelines, trained in bloodcare and taping as soon as possible!

So for your viewing pleasure this week, I have posted a video of some high risk incidents from the only sport with more tragic statistics than football... gymnastics.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, I didn't even know this existed til I randomly googled my name! LoL That was definitely a busy game!

    ReplyDelete